1.) to promote healing of wounds, deeper tissues, and nerves
2.) to reduce inflammation, edema, and chronic joint disorders
3.) to treat neurological disorders and pain
Dr. Post has previous experience using low level laser therapy and it is now available and being used daily at Zumbrota Chiropractic. In the past, he had witnessed amazing thing such as very quick relief from pain, to regaining one’s balance within 30 seconds, to helping a child’s MRSA (Methacillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) go away in two treatments since the medications the medical doctor had given her was not helping. NOTE: Dr. Post DOES NOT treat infections, instead the patient is treated naturally in order to boost the immune system so that the patient’s body can fight the infection naturally.
The laser device located at Zumbrota Chiropractic is an Erchonia PL-Touch where the output of each laser emitter is 7.5 milliwatts, for a total output of 30 milliwatts (7.5 mW x 4 laser emitters = 30 mW). With such a low output power how does this help heal the body? Inside all of your cells are tiny energy-manufacturing organelles (cellular component) that produce an energy molecule called adenosine triphosphate, also known as ATP. ATP to your cells is a lot like gasoline for your car, it helps you go the distance so you can get things done. When you shine laser light onto the cells of the body, there is an immediate increase in the amount of ATP produced so that your cells can function better, communicate better with other cells and heal!!! When that happens, you typically have better range of motion, decreased inflammation and reduced pain so that you can function more normally again and live life more easily – what a relief!
So, how is laser therapy and the chiropractic adjustment related? Naturally, they complement each other. The adjustment is vitally helpful because it is used to address the misalignment of bones and their related joints so that the body moves more easily and takes pressure off of the sensitive nerves. Did you know it only takes the pressure of a dime to negatively impact the function of a nerve? However, the adjustment will never be able to directly impact the amount of energy available inside of your cells. For example, if your cells only have 30% of the total energy capacity available, and you get an adjustment, you will be able to move better, however, your cells will still only have the same 30% of their total energy capacity available. If you get an adjustment AND low level laser therapy, you will be able to move better, PLUS, your cells energy level will increase to maybe 60%, for example. Because of this, many times your adjustments will also hold longer allowing you go longer between visits. It’s a win-win situation when you combine chiropractic adjustments and low level laser therapy.
Two Types of Cold or Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT):
There are two types of laser therapy, these are therapeutic dose and up-regulation. Therapeutic dose is easy, you shine the laser light at the area of interest for a period of time to get a therapeutic response out of the treatment. Typically, a therapeutic dose treatment will last between 8 and 10 minutes. At Zumbrota Chiropractic we also do additional things in order for you to get the best outcome possible. Some of these things include keeping the laser emitters as close to the surface of the body as possible, turning on a lamp and turning off the overhead lights to minimize scattered light that can interfere with the treatment to some degree, and having the patient use the part that being treated such as doing some easy shoulder exercises during treatment because experience has shown that when you use the part during therapy there is always a better outcome.
Up-regulation is very different and takes only seconds, usually 30 seconds or less to experience a significant difference. For example, if you are a wrestler, have a tournament coming up soon and you want to perform at your best up-regulation is the way to go. Dr. Post evaluates the upper and lower extremities looking for weaknesses. Once they are found cold laser therapy is applied for approximately 30 seconds in two places at the same time. As a result, the weakness disappears and you can perform at a higher level. Up-regulation is not only for wrestlers or other athletes, though it can help give you an edge in competition, but it can be used on anyone who wants to perform at their best. If you’ve noticed some weakness in either or your arms or legs, let Dr. Post know.